Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bookmark this: LearnVest

I stumbled across LearnVest in a super strange way---it was someone's facebook status. After a quick google search, I discovered Alexa Von Tobel, founder of LearnVest and Inc 30 Under 30 Entrepreneur, knew what the problem was with personal finance books and websites. They speak to middle aged men (and sometime women) with tons of money who are saving for retirement. The advice is not helpful when you are a recent grad making $500 for 50 hours of work a week.



Thankfully, LearnVest is here to spell out personal finance for Gen Y women everywhere! LearnVest has many great tools including budgeting bootcamps, helpful articles, and a resource toolkit.



Some of my favorite parts of the site include:


  • Cool calculators that help you find out how much you save buying a used vs new car or by brownbagging your lunch

  • When I was looking for a grown-up credit card with a tangible rewards program, I used their Credit Card Finder tool to select my new Discover (testing now!)

  • A checklist for 2010 Graduates starting their new financial adventure

  • The new LV Expert bloggers! I love Dining & Entertainment and the Money Etiquette expert.

I hope you check out LearnVest. I've found it helpful so far but what do you think? What other features does this personal finance web source need to grow?

1 comments:

Caroline Waxler said...

Thanks, Elizabeth, for the great review! To paraphrase Sally Field, "You like us! You really like us!"
If you like what you've seen already you'll love what we have coming up for the fall!
And, we are thrilled to discover your blog--love the name!-- and look forward to reading it religiously!
Cheers,
Caroline Waxler
LearnVest's Chief Content and Community Officer

Post a Comment