Friday, July 30, 2010

Fitting It In: Finding Time For Fitness in the real world

Most college students have a pretty easy schedule. You go to class, you eat, you hang out and most go to the gym. It's open at all hours of the night and you can pop in whenever you want.

But things change in the real world and fitting in fitness, is really hard. Generally speaking you have to either get up really early or go after work. Both can be difficult, especially the latter because if you get stuck in the office, you might not make it to the gym in time.

These are also both peak gym times so your cardio room is probably hot and crowded--another deterrent.

What does an empty pocket grad do?

Here are my three simple tips:

  1. Pack it up. In addition to packing my lunch every evening, I also pack my gym bag. That way when I'm in a rush to get out the door because I've hit the snooze button to many times, it's still a grab and go. I drop my bag in the trunk and on the way home, I stop in to break a sweat.
  2. Make it Social. Personally, I like to work out alone without people talking to me. But making it social is a great motivator. Join a sports league. Take a class. Just remember what you are there for.
  3. Fit It In. Are you an assistant who's stuck at your desk until 11pm each night? You're packing on the pounds lunching with friends during your HR enforced lunch break? If you follow #1 and #2, this step should be easy. Exercise during your lunch break. Hit the company gym. Don't want to sweat it up too much? Take a nice walk with a work buddy a few times a week and it will get you some sun and keep away the flab.

Going out for MY 45 minute lunch walk around the golf course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment